Recently AT&T became the first mobile carrier to stop selling their location data services to third-party aggregators due to political pressure and media-reported misuse. Other carriers have vowed to follow soon. This lack of location data will result in a gap of intelligence for businesses using this data for fraud prevention. iovation can help fill in some of those gaps. I recently recorded a video on the subject which you can watch here.
Carrier location data can triangulate the exact location of a mobile phone user, which raises concerns about what could happen when this data gets in the wrong hands. Senator Ron Wyden from Oregon has led a campaign to stop the selling of this data. “It is now abundantly clear that you have failed to be good stewards of your customers' private location information,” Wyden wrote in a letter to top executives at the leading phone carriers.
It is now abundantly clear that you have failed to be good stewards of your customers' private location information
The sunsetting of these services has also resulted in fraud teams losing the ability to use this data for legitimate business purposes, including:
- Identifying Personal Data such as the name and address on an application
- Examining the Phone Risk Factors considering both the behavioral and device attributes
- Verifying the Location submitted on an application matches the current location of the mobile device to combat fraudsters using third party or synthetic identities
iovation and TransUnion are blending personal and digital identity to help fraud teams fill in the gaps left by the sunsetting of carrier location data. Specifically with iovation and TransUnion, we:
- Check the name and address of the application with TransUnion’s ID Verification Services.
- Examine the phone risk factors through real-time phone number and email verification (online) in our FraudForce solution or use the Phone Risk Verification through TransUnion’s ID Vision (offline) before sending out an SMS one-time password.
- Verify the location of the application through our IP geolocation services or through the in-app SDK in FraudForce. Flag location mismatches while looking at the device risk.
Contact our team to learn more about how we are blending personal and digital identity to help you fill in the gaps left by the sunsetting of carrier location data.